Before you arrive:
- Read all Pre Arrival Information and familiarise yourself with the local culture, some general laws and university rules
- Do not take unnecessary official documents with you
- Copy all of your official documents including passport and keep separate from originals (in the event they are lost or stolen)
- If you take medication, find out equivalent names/availability in the country you are visiting and make sure you have medical insurance
- Pack using light and strong luggage and do not overdo the packing! – Be aware of luggage restrictions and check your airlines website.
- If shipping items, be award they may be held up in customs
- Once packed and on your way, avoid long waits in lobbies or terminal buildings (mind your bags and phones/laptops etc)- plan your trip!
Take a carry on bag for the following:
- Passport and important documents such as Offer / Immigration Letters / Visa (if applicable) / Itinerary / Insurance
- Medication (make sure your take a clear bag for security for medication and liquids which must be produced at security for carry on)
- Details of airport pick up or transportation if staying elsewhere
- Prescription medications
- Protect you official documents
- Explore your new city with friends and avoid traveling alone (especially after dark) – ask staff for advice
- Take care when socialising and be mindful of your drinks – soft drinks or otherwise!
- Have your cell phone charged and with you (have emergency numbers loaded on your phone)
- Be sure you tell friends where you have gone
It is very exciting to arrive in a new city but remember you might be jet lagged and a little disoriented for a day or two so be sure you mind yourselves and be on your guard.
Travel is exciting – Safe Travels!